[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: "Real World Haskell", now shipping

Ahn, Ki Yung kyagrd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 20:49:49 EST 2008

Andrew Coppin 쓴 글:

> Then again, one day I sat down and tried to draw a diagram of the
> essential concepts, techniques and syntax of Haskell and how they're
> related... The result looked like alphabet soup! It's not clear how you
> start to explain anything without immediately needing to explain 20
> other things you just used to explain the first thing. (Somebody
> commented "recursive tutorials for a recursive language". It was meant
> as an insult, but I actually kinda like it...) Given that that's the
> case, I'm not really sure that I could do any better than the Three
> Kings, so maybe I should just shuffle off and keep my comments to
> myself. :-/

If one needs introductory Haskell programming tutorial explaining about
the language concepts from first principles, then one should read a
textbook written for that purpose such as "Programming in Haskell".

"Real World Haskell" is a collection of practical tips and know-hows to
get things done at work rather than a step-by-step Haskell tutorial. And
I believe that many other O'Reilly books are like that.

> What I *haven't* done yet is read the chapters where they try to claim
> that database programming is possible in Haskell. I'll have to do that
> at some point. Maybe this is where they reveal the Secret Formula that
> makes this stuff actually work properly... but somehow I doubt it.

What do you mean by that "they are trying database programming is
possible in Haskell"?  I've done very simple database programming in
Haskell using HDBC, and it just works using the binary package from
debian. If you need more complicated examples, you can take a look at
the hpodder source code or any other applications that use database.
They are all on Hackage.

--
   Ahn, Ki Yung