[Haskell-cafe] Re: Go Haskell! -> array libraries

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Nov 28 16:46:11 EST 2008

andrewcoppin:
> What *I* propose is that somebody [you see what I did there?] should sit
> down, take stock of all the multitudes of array libraries, what features
> they have, what obvious features they're missing, and think up a good
> API from scratch. Once we figure out what the best way to arrange all
> this stuff is, *then* we attack the problem of implementing it for real.
>
> It seems lots of people have written really useful code, but we need to
> take a step back and look at the big picture here before writing any
> more of it.

No.

My view would be to let the free market of developers decide what is
best. No bottlenecks -- there's too many Haskell libraries already (~1000 now).

And this approach has yielded more code than ever before, more libraries
than ever before, and library authors are competing.

So let the market decide. We're a bazaar, not a cathedral.

-- Don