pbkdf2 on hackage Re: Re[2]: [Haskell-cafe] Password hashing

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 11:42:27 EST 2008

Thomas Hartman wrote:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/PBKDF2
>
> Since no one took up my code review request I just did the best I
> could and uploaded to hackage. There were indeed some mistakes in my
> initial post, fixed now. (Code review is still wished, though!)
>
> Alas, documentation doesn't build with hackage, altough it does for me
> locally. (Seems like almost everything I do these days -- what am I
> doing wrong?!)
>
> Also I'm open to folding this into a more established crypto package
> if there are any takers... psst, dominic.

I'd be happy to do so. In fact, I have another contribution which I need
to work on so maybe now is a good time to roll my sleeves up.

I haven't been following the thread on this. Could you give me some
references? I assume it's a perfectly good cryptographic function, then
it would be very helpful for me if you created a patch against the
crypto repository.

> Also, dominic, shouldn't your crypto package be added to category
> Cryptography (a cabal file change) so it lists aside the other crypto
> packages?

Yes good point - something else that needs doing. I've created the first
ticket in the trac http://trac.haskell.org/crypto/ticket/1

>>> If there are any crypto gurus who can code-review this I would be much
>>> obliged, and when I'm confident enough that this does the right thing
>>> I'll put it up on hackage.
>>>
>>> I don't do much crypto so this *definitely* needs a review before it
>>> becomes a library?

It depends what you are going to use it for. I've put a big disclaimer
on the crypto library because there are all sorts of attacks I've not
checked it's proof against (e.g. who knows how long keys are kept in
memory by a runtime system). You'd probably have to put in quite a lot
of work researching how e.g. this is done in other implementations and
seeing how the equivalent protection could be implemented in Haskell.

John is right but it still doesn't stop you publishing your function
which someone can then use as John describes.