[Haskell-cafe] Need machine for DPH benchmarking

Daniel Yokomizo daniel.yokomizo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:43:08 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Roman Leshchinskiy <rl at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we, the DPH team, are at the moment in the very unfortunate situation of not
> having a proper machine for running our benchmarks on. Could a kind soul
> maybe give us (i.e., me) access to a quadcore or 2xquadcore x86 Linux or OS
> X machine? I only need to build ghc on it and run small benchmarks which
> never take more than a couple of minutes, maybe once every couple of days or
> so. We do need to use all cores, though, so no other CPU-intensive processes
> can be running during benchmarking. This is only for a week or two, until we
> get our own machine. We would be eternally grateful and won't forget you
> when DPH takes over the world.

Another possibility is using the Amazon EC2 functionality and rent a
high-CPU instance (http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#instance) for as long as
you need. An extra large high-CPU instance costs $0.80 per hour
(http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing), is an 8-core machine, you only
pay for the time used and it runs any kind of Linux you want (there
are dozens of already configured instances with different
configurations, it's also possible to configure your own). I've been
using it for a few months and have no complaints.

> Roman

Best regards,
Daniel Yokomizo