[Haskell-cafe] Compilers

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Nov 26 22:20:12 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Richard O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2008, at 10:56 am, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> Donnie Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the current homepage for the LHC project:
>>>  http://lhc.seize.it/
>>> Yes. I found that - it just didn't *say* very much. ;-)
>>>

> I really really wish there were just one more sentence on
> that page saying WHY there is a fork of JHC.

I spoke with the author of the fork a bit in IRC around the time it happened
and my understanding is that:
1) John sternly objects to using cabal as the build system for JHC
2) JHC was seeing very little development activity by John
3) The author of the fork has philosophically different ideas about project
management

I really hope JHC and LHC can continue to share code and are able to be
collaborating projects instead of competing ones.

We can see that LHC already has an increase in activity and the new team
that is forming is very interested in clean up and factorization.  That is,
I've seen some good discussions about using libraries instead of project
specific functionality between LHC contributors.

I hope John doesn't take the fork as any sort of aggressive or insulting
action.  He's made a compiler that is sufficiently interesting to have users
that want to take over.

I'm not involved in either fork in either way, but it's quite interesting to
watch and I can see parallels to a different Haskell project.

Thanks,
Jason