[Haskell-cafe] ANN: "Real World Haskell", now shipping

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Nov 26 00:15:54 EST 2008

Good evening -

John Goerzen, Don Stewart and I are delighted to announce the
availability of our book, "Real World Haskell". It is 710 pages long,
and published by O'Reilly Media.

This is the first book to comprehensively cover modern Haskell
programming. From an introduction to functional programming, it
focuses on teaching through many worked examples. We discuss the
"awkward squad" of I/O, concurrency, and exceptions. We cover network
programming, databases, and system hacking. We motivate and work with
monoids, applicative functors, monads, and monad transformers. We show
you how to debug code, and how to ship well-tested software.

Better yet, the book is available under a Creative Commons license, so
you can read as much of it as you please before you buy:
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/ We developed this book with the
enthusiastic and voluble support of the Haskell community, and we are
proud to share our work in a fashion that will help newcomers to our
field.

And best of all, if you order now (at least in North America), you can
have a copy of the book in your hands in a matter of days.

Thank you from all of us to our friends in the Haskell world who have
been so generous with their feedback and kind words!