[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] GHC 6.10 and OpenGL

Paul L ninegua at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 08:00:48 EST 2008

On 11/23/08, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> 2. It still wouldn't work for the OpenGL package on Windows, because
>> the configure scripts require a Unix-style built environment
>> (MinGW/MinSys or Cygwin).
>
> Yes, building it requires mingw/msys, but with it cabal install opengl
> really does work (I've tried it).

Sure, I don't doubt it. The real trouble is the extra dependency to
MinGW/MinSys.
I'm reluctant to tell my users to go installing them just for the sake
of compiling HOpenGL.

Really, OpenGL is the only true cross-platform Graphics solution
because it comes as default installation on all platforms. Nothing
else comes close to my mind.

On a side note, since GHC installation for Windows contains a version
of gcc, I wonder how hard it would be to replace the autoconf
compilation of HOPenGL with just cabal. Then we'll get rid of the
MinGW/MinSys depedency all together. Isn't it the purpose of cabal to
replace non-portable build systems (for Haskell at least)?

--
Regards,
Paul Liu

Yale Haskell Group