[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] GHC 6.10 and OpenGL

Paul L ninegua at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 08:00:48 EST 2008

On 11/23/08, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> 2. It still wouldn't work for the OpenGL package on Windows, because
>> the configure scripts require a Unix-style built environment
>> (MinGW/MinSys or Cygwin).
> Yes, building it requires mingw/msys, but with it cabal install opengl
> really does work (I've tried it).

Sure, I don't doubt it. The real trouble is the extra dependency to
I'm reluctant to tell my users to go installing them just for the sake
of compiling HOpenGL.

Really, OpenGL is the only true cross-platform Graphics solution
because it comes as default installation on all platforms. Nothing
else comes close to my mind.

On a side note, since GHC installation for Windows contains a version
of gcc, I wonder how hard it would be to replace the autoconf
compilation of HOPenGL with just cabal. Then we'll get rid of the
MinGW/MinSys depedency all together. Isn't it the purpose of cabal to
replace non-portable build systems (for Haskell at least)?

Paul Liu

Yale Haskell Group