[Haskell-cafe] Extensible Exceptions

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 22 18:25:06 EST 2008

It's a pattern match error, implemented by throwing an asynchronous
exception.  The idea being, that we only have one mechanism (well, an
synchronous exceptions, thrown via throwIO).

Yes, I know that there's a difference between "error" and "exception",
but I would argue that which is which depends on the program.  For
example, for most programs a pattern match error is a fatal condition,
there's no sane recovery from it.  OTOH, in a program like GHCi, a
pattern match error in an executed statement is an exceptional
condition, which we want to catch, so it doesn't kill GHCi.

--
Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.