[Haskell-cafe] Do I need an account to report build of Hacakge packages?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 22 09:11:14 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 16:12 -0800, Ahn, Ki Yung wrote:
> I am just curious about how cabal report works.
>
> I recently figured out that there is a report command in cabal and it
> reports the reports generated by --build-reports option when building a
> package.
>
> Is this because I don't have an account on Hackage yet, or because of
> some other reasons?

It's a feature that exists in the client that has no corresponding
implementation on the server-side yet. There is a new hackage-server in
development that can accept build reports uploaded by "cabal report".

> And if I make an account, where how I put that information in cabal
> config file?

You only need an account for uploading packages. If you do not want to
have to enter your user name or password interactively when you run
"cabal upload" then you can put them in the config file:

username:
password:

You can use one field without the other field and "cabal upload" will
prompt for the one you did not supply. So you don't need to save your
password in the config file.

> I've looked into the cabal config file and tried to change this myself
> before, but it wasn't very self explanatory to me.  For instance, I
> tried to make the build-reports on by default, deleting haskell comment
> like double dashes "--" and put True flag after the colon, but keep
> getting parse error from cabal.  I looked up the manual but it says that
> the config file is self explanatory, which isn't to me at all.  Are
> there any documentations on this available anywhere?

There is some problems in the config file parsing code it seems. The
config file parsing code is derived automatically from the command line
parsing code but imperfectly at the moment. For example --build-reports
is a boolean value flag but with no argument and these do not seem to be
converted correctly into config file fields.

> === error messages when I tried to report the build log ===
>
> kyagrd at kyagrd:~$ cabal report

Yes. The current hackage server does not support uploading build
reports.

Duncan