[Haskell-cafe] Counting beta reductions for a Haskell program...

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 00:06:55 EST 2008

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  One of the reasons
GHC-compiled code is so fast is that it turns into straight-line code
whenever possible, via inlining, primitive optimizations, etc.

I suppose there could be an option for the STG machine[1] to increment
a counter on every "Enter", which loosely corresponds to a beta
reduction, but the STG machine is only an island in the sea of
compiled code GHC creates.

  - ryan

[1] http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.53.3729