[Haskell-cafe] Re: Begginer question about alignment in Storable

Mauricio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 11:26:11 EST 2008

 > (...)   But the  major advantage  of hsc2hs  is that  if  your C
 > struct changes or you use a different C compiler, the allignment
 > and size as well as the offsets used in peek and poke will still
 > be correct since the compiler will calculate it for you. (...)
 >
 > And you  wanted to write  a storable instance.  With  hsc2hs you
 > would write it like this: (...)

Thanks! This is actually a really  nice tutorial! Do you mind if I
try to find a place for it in the wiki?

 > Regarding "cabal setup", that is only really needed if you are
 > intending to build a package to distribute to other people. (...)

I didn't  know about hsc2hs, but I'm  a big fan of  cabal. I would
use it even in "Hello Word".

 > (...)  (I don't have a good link for learning cabal; you'll have
 > to google around (e.g. "haskell cabal") for info.)

Compreensive as a reference, easy to follow as a tutorial:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/Cabal

Best,
Maurício