[Haskell-cafe] Hackage policy question

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 07:56:31 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 04:06 -0800, John Meacham wrote:
> Well, my main concern is that I have projects that have several
> distribution formats, tarball, rpm, deb, and hopefully hackage
> (alongside the others as equals). I don't want the version numbers to
> get out of sync though, just because I have to reroll the hackage, or
> rpm, or whatever release, I don't want to have to artificially increase
> its version number such that it gets out of sync with the actual version
> number of the package. For instance, I have a yum repository that
> contains my various projects (DrIFT, jhc, etc..) and bumping the release
> version is what I need to do to get 'yum update' to grab new versions,
> but I don't want to have to rerelease hackage, tarball, or deb versions
> to keep my version numbers in sync just for fixing an rpm or
> distribution compatability issue. With rpm I don't have to do this since
> it has a release version, so I am looking for something similar on the
> hackage side of things.

If it's purely a change in the .cabal file then the second mechanism
that I described should be ok.

Or release foo-x.y.z.1 only on hackage with the semantics being that
it's a minor build fix for the primary version number foo-x.y.z. The
only difference is that someone can install both variants
simultaneously.

Duncan