[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.10.1 and cabal[-install]

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 06:17:47 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 11:03 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 10:28 +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> > > The cabal user guide lists the default install directories for global
> > > and user installs.
> >
> > Okay, I looked at the cabal-install docs.  And the only doc seems to be the
> > output of cabal with the --help option.
>
> Pretty much all the stuff in the Cabal user guide applies to the cabal
> command line tool. There is some extra stuff in the cabal command line
> tool that is not yet adequately documented (ie only in --help).

By the way I should note that we would very much appreciate anyone who
wants to help us improve the documentation. There is some documentation
around (the user guide is quite extensive) but it does not seem to be
well organised or easy to find. Similarly there are several sources that
are not really intended for end-users (like the cabal-install page on
the dev wiki) that are top hits on google. So clearly we need to do a
better job with organising.

With cabal-install we've been moving from a phase where it was under
heavy development and only just usable to the point where it's nearly
the tool of choice in its niche, so documentation and ease of
installation, error messages are now more important than they were
previously. We could really do with some help on these things as the
number of people actually spending time hacking on these projects is
quite small given the number of users and their (justified) demands for
better docs, better defaults, ease of use, etc.

Duncan