[Haskell-cafe] Re: streaming translation using monads

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 19 15:18:31 EST 2008

Warren Harris <warrensomebody at gmail.com> wrote in article <C50D2EF9-7DDC-4066-8434-A51ADA96440F at gmail.com> in gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe:
> However, the use of a
> universal type for the values would still seem to be required since
> there is no way to implement type-indexed values when the queries
> themselves are expressed as an abstract datatype rather than as
> functions. Am I overlooking something?

You might find inspiration in the fact that printf and scanf can be
expressed in ML/Haskell without any fancy type-system features.

http://www.brics.dk/RS/98/12/
http://cs.nyu.edu/zheyang/papers/YangZ--ICFP98.html
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/16409
http://www.itu.dk/people/mir/typesafepatterns.pdf

Credits to: Olivier Danvy, Zhe Yang, Kenichi Asai, Oleg Kiselyov,
Morten Rhiger.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
2008-11-20 Universal Children's Day              http://unicef.org/