[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.10.1 and cabal[-install]

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Nov 18 17:03:26 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>wrote:

> Jason Dagit wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Andrew Coppin <
>> andrewcoppin at btinternet.com <mailto:andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Duncan Coutts wrote:
>>
>>        The Cabal package provides the library. The cabal-install package
>>        provides the 'cabal' command line tool.
>>
>>        The deprecated package you're thinking of is cabal-get or
>>        cabal-setup.
>>

>>    Will Hackage one day provide a way to discover that one package
>>    has been superceeded by another?
>>
>>    Currently you can see when a newer version of the exact same
>>    package exists, but (for example) take a took at how many
>>    gazillion database packages there are up there. Which ones are
>>    active? Which ones are obsolete? How can I tell??
>>

>> This has come up before.  As you can see here:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/46764
>>
>> I think we just need someone (how about you!?) to start working on it.
>>

> What do I need to do? Just obtain the Hackage source code and submit a
> Darcs patch or something? Or is it harder than that?

A darcs patch should work.  If you look in the thread I linked to you'll see
this message by Thomas M. DuBuisson:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/46764

Where he gives the location of secret hideout for the hackage happs server
and how to contribute.

Thanks,
Jason