[Haskell-cafe] Re: Find unused exports

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Nov 17 19:46:18 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jason Dagit <dagit <at> codersbase.com> writes:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone already made a tool to check if exported functions, data
> > constructors, types, etc are unused within a set of modules?
>
> My SourceGraph programme (available on Hackage) can do this with a few
> caveats:
> 1) Only supports functions, not data constructors, types, etc.
> 2) The project must  be Cabalized
> 3) The functions exported must not be available from the library (though if
> it's
> an executable, then it will return all non-called functions that aren't
> called
> "main").

Those restrictions should fit my case very well.  I have a .cabal file, I'm
mainly interested in functions, and it's just an executable not a library.

> > For my usage it would probably suffice if the tool only compared
> > import lists against export lists
>
> This is basically what SourceGraph does.
>
> Note that it hasn't been upgraded to GHC-6.10 yet, nor the HSE-4 series.

I don't think that will be a problem.  I still haven't upgraded to 6.10 due
to it uninstalling 6.8 (has anyone fixed this on osx yet?).  And we don't
use view patterns so HSE-4 is hopefully not needed.

Thanks,
Jason