[Haskell-cafe] What *not* to use Haskell for

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Nov 12 03:19:25 EST 2008

Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:

> Data.ByteString is full of mutation-heavy inner loops.

I suspect you are missing Kyle's point, which I interpret to be more
like what Paul Graham talks about in  "ANSI Common Lisp":

     [OO] provides a structured way to write spaghetti code. [...] For
     programs that would have ended up as spaghetti anyway, the object
     oriented model is good: they will at least be structured
     spaghetti.

In my opinion, Haskell is pretty bad at spaghetti.  And although it is
possible that some programs simply need to be spaghetti-structured, I
still think not supporting it is a good thing - Haskell should instead
provide the tools for writing an equivalent non-spaghettized program.

Bytestrings have mutation-heavy inner loops, but localized,
well-structured, and exporting a neat, pure interface, so they don't
count here.

> There's nothing magic about it.

Now you're just being modest.

-k