[Haskell-cafe] What *not* to use Haskell for

Eelco Lempsink eelco at lempsink.nl
Wed Nov 12 01:55:51 EST 2008

On 11 nov 2008, at 11:38, Dave Tapley wrote:
> Usually I'll avoid then question and explain that it is a 'complete'
> language and we do have more than enough libraries to make it useful
> and
> productive. But I'd be keen to know if people have any anecdotes,
> ideally ones which can subsequently be twisted into an argument for
> Haskell ;)

Working with relational databases can be a bit cumbersome.  There's
some bitrot in the HaskellDB packages in general, so taking a more low-
level approach seems sensible, but because the lack of extensible
records you don't get much help from the compiler, so you need to do
most of the checking (and 'marshalling') yourself.  In that sense,
it's not worse than doing it with most other languages, except that
for those languages there are often high-level libraries available to
do, for example, cute things like object relational mapping (ORM).

--
Regards,

Eelco Lempsink