[Haskell-cafe] compiling haskell-src-exts in 6.10

Niklas Broberg niklas.broberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:59:01 EST 2008

2008/11/11 Hugo Pacheco <hpacheco at gmail.com>:
> When installing package haskell-src-exts via cabal install, I get the error
> Language/Haskell/Exts/Syntax.hs:102:7:
>     Could not find module `Data.Data':
>       it is a member of package base, which is hidden
>
> However, when manually installing
> runhaskell Setup.hs configure/build/install
> It works fine
> Somehow package base is not available in cabal.. don't know why.

Like Brandon said, this is the case of cabal-install trying to be
"clever" and picking base-3 as the default even when base-4 is
available, while I in turn was trying to be "clever" in picking the
right version of base depending on which compiler was used. I'm not
sure who of us was actually the least clever, but in hindsight I think
neither was a very good choice.

I promised a new release when 6.10.1 proper was out, so here we go:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/haskell-src-exts-0.3.10

Only change is that it will no longer work without the split base,
explicitly expecting base >= 4.

Cheers,

/Niklas