[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.10, strange behaviour when profiling?

Aleš Bizjak ales.bizjak0 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:31:10 EST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:54:57 +0100, Thomas Schilling
<nominolo at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think you hit bug http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2747,
> which is an accounting bug in the garbage collector and goes away when
> you trigger more garbage collections (which -hc does, I think).
> Please file a bug report anyway, so we can verify that it is indeed
> not a new bug.  (Since the profiler modifies the program it can turn
> on or off different optimisations, so it's quite possible that there
> are other reasons for this behaviour.)

I don't think compiling for profiling has anything to do with it because
when
compiling with just ghc --make -O2 Test.hs and then running with -hT
behaves as
it did with -hc and running without -hT eats up memory.
I did some further tests and it seems that this is indeed the same bug as
above.
I will try the fix and if it doesn't fix things for me I will try to put
together
a minimal case where this happens and file a new bug report.

Best regards, Aleš