[Haskell-cafe] Re: What *not* to use Haskell for

Jefferson Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:12:40 EST 2008

Actually, one language you mention there *is* worse than the others
for writing wrappable library code: C++.  Admittedly, they've got a
Python interface now via boost, but the main problem with writing
wrappable C++ code is the template system and the inheritence systems
getting in the way.  Symbol names aren't predictable and not
standardized, so it becomes impossible to write a portable system for
finding and binding to functions in a library.  I've not yet found a
good way to do it in FFI code, and I would love to, as one library in
particular I hold near and dear -- OpenSceneGraph -- is entirely
written in C++.

-- Jeff

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Bulat Ziganshin
<bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mauricio,
>
> Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 2:26:21 PM, you wrote:
>
> imho, Haskell isn't worse here than any other compiled language - C++,
> ML, Eiffel and beter tnan Java or C#.every language has its own object
> model and GC. the only ay is to provide C-typed interfaces between
> languages (or use COM, IDL and other API-describing languages)
>
>> I think Haskell is not nice to write general purpouse libraries
>> that could be easily and completly wrapped by other languages.
>> You can wrap gtk, sqlite3, gsl, opengl etc., but you can't write
>> python bindings for Data.Graph.
>
>> But, then, if you claim there's nothing else Haskell can't do,
>> what do you need those bindings for ? :)
>
>> Best,
>> Mauricio
>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> So I should clarify I'm not a troll and do "see the Haskell light". But
>>> one thing I can never answer when preaching to others is "what does
>>> Haskell not do well?"
>>>
>>> Usually I'll avoid then question and explain that it is a 'complete'
>>> language and we do have more than enough libraries to make it useful and
>>> productive. But I'd be keen to know if people have any anecdotes,
>>> ideally ones which can subsequently be twisted into an argument for
>>> Haskell ;)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Dave

> --
> Best regards,
>  Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com

I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a
picnic, they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards