[Haskell-cafe] Anyone know why this always returns invalid texture objects?

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 6 21:15:31 EST 2008

[CCing gtk2hs-users]

Jefferson Heard wrote:
> import Graphics.UI.Gtk
> import Graphics.UI.Gtk.Glade
> import Graphics.UI.Gtk.OpenGL
> import qualified Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL as GL
> import Graphics.Rendering.OpenGL (($=))
>
> main = do
>   initGUI
>   initGL

"initGL" may be slightly misleading - it initialises the
gtkglext gtk+ extension. It does not create a GL context.

>   GL.shadeModel $= GL.Flat
>   GL.depthFunc $= Just GL.Less
>   (window1,gui,dlgs) <- constructGUIObject
>   (sX, sY) <- liftM (mapPair fromIntegral) . widgetGetSize .
> drawing_canvas $ gui -- get the canvas size for determining the part
> of the widget to repaint
>   pb <- pixbufNew ColorspaceRgb False 8 (round pbWidth) (round pbHeight)
>   pixbufFill pb 0 0 0 255
>   pxbufs <- initSubpixbufs pb texRows texCols
>   textures <- GL.genObjectNames (texRows*texCols)
>   print textures

There is no active GL context at this point. GtkGLExt creates
new GL contexts for GL enabled widgets when they're realized -
I think. I'm a bit fuzzy about the exact life time of the GL
context. [1]

After the context was created, you have to activate it before
doing any GL operations.

In Gtk2hs you can use the GLDrawingArea widget, which provides
withGLDrawingArea for easy activation of the GL context.

There's an example in the gtk2hs sources, in examples/opengl.

Enabling GL for other widgets is not supported well at the moment.
(There are low level bindings (using DrawWindow), but no generic
binding to the higher level gtk_widget_set_gl_capability() call.
Such support wouldn't be too hard to add, I think.)

HTH,

Bertram

[1] see http://gtkglext.sourceforge.net/reference/gtkglext/gtkglext-gtkglwidget.html#gtk-widget-get-gl-context