[Haskell-cafe] Re: Efficient parallel regular expressions

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:02:06 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:
> Martijn van Steenbergen <martijn at van.steenbergen.nl> wrote:
> For anything remotely connected to parsing, always use parsec.
>
> I'd not be surprised if the beast is touring complete in itself...

Actually, this can count against you. It's very easy to use Parsec to
build an innocent looking grammar that's too slow to use because it'll
do all kinds of backtracking to find a way to make your input fit the
grammar. I recommend Parsec for lots of tasks, but take care to design
the grammar so it doesn't take exponential time to do anything.
--
Dan