[Haskell-cafe] code generation

Martin Hofmann martin.hofmann at uni-bamberg.de
Tue Nov 4 07:41:01 EST 2008

Sorry for referring to a post, a bit ago.

> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/derive/ (Deriving Generic Functions
> by Example).
Thanks for the pointer, it was already on my to-read-pile :-)

> I think using Template Haskell for your work would fit very nicely, so
> is a good choice to learn :-)
I already got used to TH a bit, but I am not sure if it is appropriate
for my purpose, or at least not completely.

I want to load Haskell code into my program at runtime in an abstract
representation (as TH), modify it and then type-check it or coerce it
into a value (or execute it). For me it looks like I need a combination
of Hint and TH.

However, Hint can only interpret strings and to get a string from a QExp
I have to enter the IO Monad using runQ. So, wouldn't it deteriorate my
performance to do it all in the IO? Is there another way?