[Haskell-cafe] Re: type-level integers using type families

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Sat May 31 11:47:13 EDT 2008

Benedikt Huber wrote:
>> data True
>> data False
>>
>> type family Cond x y z
>> type instance Cond True y z = y
>> type instance Cond False y z = z
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I also found that e.g.
>
>  > type instance Mod x y = Cond (y :>: x) x  (Mod (Sub x y) y)
>
> won't terminate, as
>
>  > Mod D0 D1 ==> Cond True D0 (Mod (Sub D0 D1) D0) ==> <loop>

Right, because it always tries to infer the (Mod (Sub x y) y) part no
matter what the result of (y :>: x) is.

> rather than
>
>  > Mod D0 D1 ==> Cond True D0 ? ==> D0
>
> For Mod, I used the following (usual) encoding:
>
>  > type family Mod' x y x_gt_y
>  > type instance Mod' x y False = x
>  > type instance Mod' x y True  = Mod' (Sub x y) y ((Sub x y) :>=: y)
>  > type family Mod x y
>  > type instance Mod x y = Mod' x y (x :>=: y)

Yes, it's possible to terminate a loop by matching the type argument
directly.

> 1) One cannot define type equality (unless total type families become
> available), i.e. use the overlapping instances trick:
>> instance Eq e e  True
>> instance Eq e e' False

I didn't want to mix type classes and families in my implementation. All
the predicates are implemented like so:

 > type family Eq x y
 > type instance Eq D0 D0 = True
 > type instance Eq D1 D1 = True
 > type instance Eq (xh :* xl) (yh :* yl) = And (Eq xl yl) (Eq xh yh)

then I've added a single type-class

 > class Require b
 > instance Require True

so you can do stuff like

 > f :: (Require (Eq (x :+: y) z)) => x -> y -> z

or whatever.  I haven't yet tested it (but I think it should work) :)

Pete