[Haskell-cafe] Re: Damnit, we need a CPAN.

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri May 30 16:09:30 EDT 2008

Wolfgang Jeltsch <g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008 17:38 schrieb Achim Schneider:
> > […]
>
> > Rationale: We need […] grapefruit authors that commit to hackage
>
> Our reason to not commtting Grapefruit to Hackage so far was that
> this would mean making an official release and we thought that
> Grapefruit is not yet ready for this.  However, I might be wrong in
> the sense that also despite its current deficiencies, Grapefruit
> should be available from Hackage.  What do you think?

Release early, release often.
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html

> By the way, it’s nice to hear that there are people which are really
> interested in trying Grapefruit out.  It still makes me wonder at
> times that I’ve made something that other people find really useful.
> (Of course, I’ve not done Grapefruit alone but Matthias Reisner has
> also done a notable amount of work.)  So I would really like to get
> feedback concerning peoples impressions about Grapefruit.  Seeing
> interest in Grapefruit might give me more motivation for the work on
> it and therefore speed up its development.

I'm generally very interested in declarative GUI programming, but not
nearly enough acquainted with the whole topic to judge one project's
approach over the other. I just followed standard scientific evaluation
technique to select the projects to consider: The ones with the most and
most recent activity win.

So far, my impression is that documentation is severely lacking, but
then I'm too busy watching Babylon 5 right now and did not get more
than half an hour or so looking at grapefruit.

signature prohibited.