[Haskell-cafe] Copying Arrays

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Fri May 30 11:49:08 EDT 2008

Ketil Malde wrote:

> I guess this is where I don't follow: why would you need more short
> strings for Unicode text than for ASCII or 8-bit latin text?

Because ByteString is optimised for dealing with big blobs of binary
data, its performance when you split a big ByteString into a pile of
words is quite poor.  Also, people use ByteStrings for dealing with text
mostly because their native character sets let them get away with it,
not because it's an intrinsically good idea.

	<b