[Haskell-cafe] Re: Damnit, we need a CPAN.

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri May 30 08:21:28 EDT 2008

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> So I fully appreciate this packaging stuff is sometimes frustrating. I
> hope you appreciate that it is actually improving.

I already was pleasantly surprised when discovering cabal-install, I
think it deserves some more prominence, or even integration into cabal
itself, to make everyone aware of the fact that there's such a thing as
automatic installation and tempt people to make it work.

CPAN, of course, makes its life a lot easier by not caring about
outside dependencies at all: You can install GTK bindings without
having GTK installed... which of course does not work with Haskell, as
things must be linked properly.

signature prohibited.