happs install seems to have become very slow since upgrading cabal Re: [Haskell-cafe] test driving cabal install...

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Fri May 30 01:33:23 EDT 2008

At Thu, 29 May 2008 19:19:48 -0700,
Thomas Hartman wrote:

> It did finish, but I still feel like this took too long.

Facebook does take several minutes to compile and consumes quite a bit
of memory while doing it. If you machine does not have atleast 1GB of
memory it could be thrashing due to swapping.

If you have a relatively modern machine with plenty of RAM, then 15
mins does sound a bit long.

There are a few cases where GHC will take a very long time to compile
a file. I have only seen that happen on perhaps 2-3 files in 6+ years
of using Haskell though, and it all cases, the files contained a lot
of autogenerated code (either using Template Haskell, or some other
script which generated the code).

j.