[Haskell-cafe] test driving cabal install... cabal install and normal install (runghc Setup) don't mix... two package.conf files...

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Thu May 29 21:11:04 EDT 2008

After a little drama with zlib, I managed to get cabal-install installed.

I then attempted to do

cabal install HAppS-Server

since this is a module with a lot of dependencies, and in rapid
development flux, so perenially painful for me to install.

The result is that I managed to install everything up to HAppS-State,
which I think is the last dependency, but then seemed to hang
indefinitely in the middle of installing HAppS-Server at the end.

OK, I thought, then perhaps I can do normal runghc Setup.hs after
downloading and unzipping the tar from

However, this resulted in error

thartman at thartman-laptop:~/haskellInstalls/smallInstalls/HAppS-Server->runghc
Setup.hs configure
Setup.hs: At least the following dependencies are missing:
HAppS-Data >=0.9.2...

Strange, because I had just installed that module via cabal-install,
and I could load it in ghci with :m +HappS.Data.

I then ran ghc-pkg and got this strange result that my packages were
broken into two different files. Is this by design?

ghc-pkg list
    Cabal-, Cabal-1.3.11, Cabal-1.5.2, DeepArrow-0.2,
    HAppS-Data-, HAppS-IxSet-, HAppS-State-,

I am curious if anybody else is able to install HAppS-Server using
cabal install, and whether they can shed any light on the other isuses
I raised.