[Haskell-cafe] Damnit, we need a CPAN.

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:31:36 EDT 2008

I've been playing a lot with searchpath lately, for doing happs
"quickstart" installation as described on happs.org.

Searchpath works great when it works, which usually means -- when the
module map file is up to date and pointing everywhere to the right
place.

When the module map file is out of date though, the error messages for
missing dependencies that you would get from searchpath are not as
good as the error messages you'd get from a cabal configure.

Case in point, from #happs irc chat today

18:09:44	<thomahartman1>	~/MyProject>sp ghc -isrc src/Main.hs --make --run ....
18:10:16	<Lemmih>	?
18:10:19	<thomahartman1>	/home/thartman/.SearchPath/HAppS/State/Spread.hs:18:17:
18:10:20	<thomahartman1>	Could not find module
`Control.Concurrent.Chan.Closeable':
18:10:20	<thomahartman1>	Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
18:10:30	<thomahartman1>	something need to be pushed?
18:10:30	<Lemmih>	Install hspread.
18:11:06	<Lemmih>	Cabal tells you these sorts of things.
18:11:19	<Lemmih>	sp doesn't really keep track of dependencies.

thomas.