[Haskell-cafe] Damnit, we need a CPAN.

Donnie Jones donnie at darthik.com
Thu May 29 12:12:05 EDT 2008

Hello Rob,

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Rob Hoelz <hoelz at wisc.edu> wrote:

> Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > > Rationale: We need a CPAN
> >
> > We choose to spell CPAN as "Hackage"
> >
> > >, a cabal that is smart enough to know what to
> > > to, even if building depends on make
> >
> > Why should building depend on make? Shouldn't cabal build stuff for
> > us? We need a cabal that is clever enough that we don't need a make.
> >
> > >, grapefruit authors that commit
> > > to hackage
> >
> > Or someone to help show the grapefruit authors the light. I helped put
> > smallcheck on hackage, others have done other packages. Perhaps you
> > could do grapefruit?
> >
> > >, a cabal-inst that can install from darcs (or at least from
> > > a local directory)
> >
> > Yes, that would be lovely!
> >
> > >, or maybe just a make-replacement for haskell, like
> > > java has with ant (which is really cool if you successfully do not
> > > notice the xml-syntax).
> >
> > We have replaced a lot of make with just --make in GHC. Cabal replaces
> > more. What more bits of make do you need? If you can say why make is
> > still necessary, people may be able to eliminate it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Neil
>
> Hackage and Cabal are nice, but a command line tool for automatically
> searching Hackage and installing Hackage packages (like the cpan
> program, or easy_install) would be nice.  Unless I haven't done my
> homework and this tool exists...
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Try this:
  cabal update
  cabal list <pattern>
  cabal install

For example,
  cabal update            -- updates your list of packages
  cabal list xml            -- searches the list of packages matching the
pattern xml
  cabal install HaXml  -- will download and install the package.

Is that what you were wanting?  :)
__
Donnie