[Haskell-cafe] Type Coercion

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 03:57:18 EDT 2008

2008/5/28 PR Stanley <prstanley at ntlworld.com>:
> Hi
> (16 :: Float) is a perfectly legitimate statement although I'm surprised
> that it's allowed in a type strong language such as Haskell. It's a bit like
> casting in good old C. What's going on here?

Don't worry: it's not a cast.
Numeric constants like "16" in Haskell have polymorphic types:
Prelude> :t 16
16 :: (Num t) => t
Prelude> :t 16.6
16.6 :: (Fractional t) => t

Writing "16 :: Float" you are simply making the type explicit, and you
can do it only in the context of the typeclass.

Prelude> :t (16 :: Integer)
(16 :: Integer) :: Integer

This works because Integer is a type of the typeclass Num, but:
Prelude> :t (16.5 :: Integer)
<interactive>:1:1:
    No instance for (Fractional Integer)
      arising from the literal `16.5' at <interactive>:1:1-4
    Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Fractional Integer)

This doesn't work. So everything is done at compile time, no casting
(i.e. "believe me compiler, this it a Float") involved.

Notice that during binding the numeric constants' type is always made
explicit (if you want to know more, look for section 4.3.4 in the
Haskell Report):
Prelude> let a = 3
Prelude> :t a
a :: Integer

Prelude> let b = 3.3
Prelude> :t b
b :: Double

Prelude> b :: Float
<interactive>:1:0:
    Couldn't match expected type `Float' against inferred type `Double'
    In the expression: b :: Float
    In the definition of `it': it = b :: Float

Salvatore