[Haskell-cafe] Re: Aren't type system extensions fun? [Further analysis]

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:49:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Gleb Alexeyev wrote:
>>
>> foo :: (forall a . a -> a) -> (Bool, String)
>> foo g = (g True, g "bzzt")
>
> So, after an entire day of boggling my mind over this, I have brought it
> down to one simple example:
>
>  (id 'J', id True)   -- Works perfectly.
>
>  \f -> (f 'J', f True)   -- Fails miserably.
>
> Both expressions are obviously perfectly type-safe, and yet the type checker
> stubbornly rejects the second example. Clearly this is a flaw in the type
> checker.
>
> So what is the type of that second expression? You would think that
>
>  (x -> x) -> (Char, Bool)

When you're reasoning about this, I think it would help you greatly to
explicitly put in *all* the foralls.  In haskell, when you write, say:

   map :: (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b]

All the free variables are *implicitly* quantified at the top level.
That is, when you write the above, the compiler sees:

   map :: forall a b. (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b]

(forall has low precedence, so this is the same as:

   map :: forall a b. ((a -> b) -> [a] -> [b])

)

And the type you mention above for the strange expression is:

   forall x. (x -> x) -> (Char, Bool)

Which indicates that the caller gets to choose.  That is, if a caller
sees a 'forall' at the top level, it is allowed to instantiate it with
whatever type it likes.   Whereas the type you want has the forall in
a different place than the implicit quantifiaction:

   (forall x. x -> x) -> (Char, Bool)

Here the caller does not have a forall at the top level, it is hidden
inside a function type so the caller cannot instantiate the type.
However, when implementing this function, the argument will now have
type

    forall x. x -> x

And the implementation can instantiate x to be whatever type it likes.

But my strongest advice is, when you're thinking through this, remember that:

   x -> x

Is not by itself a type, because x is meaningless.   Instead it is
Haskell shorthand for

   forall x. x -> x

Luke