[Haskell-cafe] status of dynamic loading

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Mon May 26 15:45:27 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 07:39:12PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> It's probably going to break again soon; at the very least, newer Cabals break it here. So I don't find that surprising. hs-plugins has been problematic for a long time; I don't think anyone could recommend it (unless they're dons) in good conscience - I certainly couldn't.

Newer Cabal doesn't actually break hs-plugins, the problem is mixing an older
version of Cabal linked against GHC's API and a newer version of Cabal.  This
is the same version mismatch issue that has become rather common with
ByteString.  To fix the build on my system, I simply replaced "Cabal >= 1.2.3"
with "Cabal == 1.2.3.0".

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen