[Haskell-cafe] Announce: ghc-core, command line pager for reading GHC Core

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri May 23 11:09:18 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
>> Just a quick announcement, I've uploaded to hackage 'ghc-core' , a
>>  wrapper over ghc for displaying the optimised core and assembly language
>>  ghc produces from your programs.
>
> This is cool, but it still lags behind the facilities found in yhc-core.
>
> http://yhc06.blogspot.com/2006/12/yhccorehtml.html
>
> I have found that any effort put into improving Core viewing tools
> repays itself rather quickly, and that HTML output with hyperlinks is
> incredibly handy!

I have tried ghc-core now. I find the idea really good to make Core more
readable, but although my examples are moderately small the Core already
spans several pages. Thus highlighting alone is of limitted help. Indeed,
if the output would be HTML as Neil proposed, this would be cool. Then I
could quickly find out, what value 'lit_r3gZ' refers to.