[Haskell-cafe] Data.Tree.Zipper in the standard libraries

Krasimir Angelov kr.angelov at gmail.com
Fri May 23 03:03:29 EDT 2008

Aha. I see the point. The current design was influenced from some
other implementation that I spot somewhere in the net. I will change
it but this reminds me of another problem. Most movement functions
raise error if they can't do the movement. This is convenient if you
somehow know that the direction in which you go always exists.
Alternatively I can use monad with failure. In other words, there are
two possibilities:

1. Use error ".." and types like:   TreeLoc a -> TreeLoc a
2. Use monad and type like:       Monad m => TreeLoc a -> m (TreeLoc a)

In the second case some one have to do something like this to check
whether the operation is successful:

case left loc of
  Noting   -> error "something gone wrong"
  Just loc -> ...

In the first case there is no way to check for success but someone can
use precondition:

if isFirst loc
  then do_something (left loc)
  else i_cannot_go_left

In my opinion 1 looks nicer but 2 also have advantages. What do you think?

Regards,
   Krasimir