[Haskell-cafe] relational data representation in memory using haskell?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu May 22 04:56:03 EDT 2008

"Salvatore Insalaco" <kirby81 at gmail.com> writes:

> This doesn't look like a relational structure at all in Haskell.

I believe you are abusing terminology here.  'Relation' refers to a
table (since it represents a subset of AxBxC.., i.e. a relation), not
to references between tables.

Mutability and mutability of references is of course important in most
relational databases, but I'm not convinced an immutable database
wouldn't be interesting and useful in a functional programming
language.

I've always (well not that I use them often) been annoyed at RDBMS
lack of discriminated unions.

The TH based approach by HAppS looks cool, but I think simply a
slightly more general Data.Map (supporting multiple indices, search
by named field and so on) could be a useful thing.

-k