[Haskell-cafe] Re: MD5 performance optimizations, and GHC -via-C producing segfaulting binary

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Tue May 20 16:31:09 EDT 2008

Don Stewart wrote:
> I'm confused. GHC of course unboxes strict fields of primitive data types.
>
>     {-# OPTIONS -O2 -fvia-C -optc-O2 -funbox-strict-fields #-}

... but only when you give -funbox-strict-fields, as there, or UNPACK.
The point is that it never loses sharing to unbox a strict Int field
[1], so it should do that with -O, even without either of the above
overrides.

[1] I'm not sure if this is true... if it has to rebox the Int, you get
another copy floating around, not the original, right?

-Isaac