[Haskell-cafe] My experience setting up Haskell up for GUI development

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:47:13 EDT 2008

Ben Arnold wrote:
[snip]
> My installation:
>
> - Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit 6.0.6001
>
> First attempt
>
> - GHC 6.6.1
> - gtk2hs-09.12.exe
>
> Second attempt
>
> - GHC 6.8.2
> - wxMSW 2.6.3
> - wxHaskell 0.10.3

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check the cafe list often :)

Since it looks like I'll be doing the next gtk2hs release, let me assure
you that the installer for the next release will be tested on Vista. (I
haven't tested it yet, but I didn't realize until now we had Vista
users.)  Look for it in the next couple weeks.  Also, the current
development tree builds quite easily with MinGW and MSYS (see
http://www.mingw.org/) and any of the GHC binary installers as far back
as 6.4.2. If you get the Gtk+ bundle
(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.12/gtk+-bundle-2.12.9.zip)
then you'll be all set. (Note that I've done all this under XP, YMMV.)

I haven't really tried it, but I understand that if you install Glade
you pretty much have a RAD environment, a-la Visual Basic or Delphi. You
can't really ask for much more than that!

Oh, a request to those of you that frequent the cafe list frequently:
Could you direct problem reports like this one to the
gtk2hs-devel at sf.net list, since while I am subscribed to cafe, I don't
read it on a daily basis?  Thanks :)

Pete