[Haskell-cafe] My experience setting up Haskell up for GUI development

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sun May 18 17:02:13 EDT 2008

Hi Bulat,

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> if main part of your program is GUI - it's better to stick with C# and
> all its visual bells and whistles. the only good thing with gtk2hs is
> that you got Linux portability for free. actually, people will think
> that you have developed it on linux and ported to windows at the last
> day :D

Isn't there now a Windows native look for gtk2? When will
gtk2hs support it?

In the meantime, I guess that is an advantage of wxHaskell.

> look at http://freearc.org screenshots

Bulat - very, very nice app! Why haven't I noticed that
link here before?

> if you develop serious (say, commercial) application - consider
> developing algorithm in Haskell and writing GUI in C# or C++ to take
> best of both worlds.

But then you need to rewrite the GUI part from scratch to get
it to run on other platforms.

Regards,
Yitz