[Haskell-cafe] Re: My experience setting up Haskell up for GUI development

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun May 18 14:52:17 EDT 2008

"Ben Arnold" <benedict.arnold at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] Which is nice, except that when I call "main" twice in
> succession from GHCi, ghc.exe crashes. So I have no confidence in the
> wxHaskell libraries either. I don't want to invest time in
> programming with libraries that perform illegal operations on my
> operating system.

I assume that you didn't use :main, but just evaluated "main"... and
that either wx or the native windoze gui doesn't like you
reinitialising it without unloading the executable that does it or
whatever: That's the problem if you call into C code, all kind of
things might go wrong.

If you don't want to invest time in programming with stuff that can
perform illegal operations, or at least be sure that you don't do
illegal operations, you are kind of stuck with Haskell, though. You
might to try out things like Fruit, which isolate you from all this
stuff.

signature prohibited.