[Haskell-cafe] Re: Performance: MD5

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun May 18 13:07:46 EDT 2008

Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Achim Schneider wrote:
> > Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I wonder what would happen if you instead had
> >> a vast number of very simple proto-processors connected in a vast
> >> network. [But I'm guessing the first thing that'll happen is that
> >> the data is never where you want it to be...]
> >>

> > You're not thinking of neuronal networks, are you? The interesting
> > thing there is that they unite code and data.
> >

> Damn; you've seen through my cunning disguise. ;-)
>
> In all seriousness, it's easy enough to build an artificial neural
> network that computes a continuous function of several continuous
> inputs. But it's much harder to see how, for example, you'd build a
> text parser or something. It's really not clear how you implement
> flow control with this kind of thing. It's so different to a Turing
> machine is appears to render most of current computer science
> irrelevant. And that's *a lot* of work to redo.

Hmmm... fuzzy logic, plus a lot of serialisation of parallel (that is,
right now saved in linear ram) data. Don't make me think about it, or
I'll be forced to confuse you with ramblings about how the brain works.
(Is that control flow? ;)

> Now, if you had a network of something a bit more complicated than
> artificial neurons, but less complicated than an actual CPU... you'd
> have... I don't know, maybe something useful? It's hard to say.

You'd have something like a cell processor, if you go for (more or
less) normal control flow.

Maybe we will soon see dedicated pointer rams, because hardware
manufacturers despair while trying to design a cache manager for 1024
cores: That would make it easy to spot which core holds which pointer,
and thus also easy to move the data to it.

How would a Haskell compiler look like that targets a FPGA? That is,
compiling down to configware, not to a RTS built on top of it.

signature prohibited.