[Haskell-cafe] Performance: MD5

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun May 18 11:42:24 EDT 2008

Hello Peter,

Sunday, May 18, 2008, 7:27:35 PM, you wrote:

> As a side note on this discussion, isn't it so that the current CPU
> hardware evolved in such a way that it is better suited for imperative
> programs? (I'm not talking about the GPU, that's another story). I mean,
> hardware gets optimized to run applications faster, but these
> applications are mainly written in C/C++, so you get a nice feedback
> loop here...

i don't think it's fundamental limit. hardware is better suited to
assembler, naturally, but C++ compilers overruled asm. haskell-like
languages can be theoretically compiled to the code which is as good
as asm, it's just not the current state-of-the-art

nevertheless, it's true that new hardware arise and it's two-way
road: FP languages are used more due to multi-core hardware, and
new hardware becomes practically useful due to new ways of programming

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com