[Haskell-cafe] Performance: MD5

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun May 18 10:42:47 EDT 2008

Hello Brandon,

Sunday, May 18, 2008, 6:25:31 PM, you wrote:

> There's a difference.  When I started (GHC 6.4.2 was current), Bulat
> was spending his mailing list time denying the possibility of what DPH
> does now, and claiming that what GHC 6.8.2 does now was unlikely.

what DPH and 6.8.2 does? i said that ghc can't reach the same level
of optimization as gcc and it's still true - for example, it can't
unroll loops. ghc 6.6 generates very simple code which holds all the
vars in the memory, 6.8 can hold them in registers. gcc implements
much more sophisticated optimizations, just try to implement something
larger than one-liners in imperative haskell and C and compare
results. it seems that you never developed highly-optimized programs
in C, so all your reasoning is just product of haskell-fanatic imagination

show me your code. or shut up, please

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com