[Haskell-cafe] Haskell-Cafe Info Page

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat May 17 15:00:38 EDT 2008

On 2008 May 17, at 14:52, D. Gregor wrote:

> Common Lisp is a multiparadigm, general purpose programming language
> that supports imperative, functional, and object-oriented
> programming paradigms.  Haskell is purely functional.  Is this a
> reason why there is not macro feature in Haskell?  I feel the object-
> oriented paradigm of CL and Scheme is the reason for the macro
> feature in these two languages.  If it's not, then what does the
> macro feature provide, and why isn't it in Haskell?

Macros in Lisp have less to do with functional vs. non-functional than
with programs and data having precisely the same form (s-expressions).

There is a macro facility of the kind you're thinking of in Haskell
(Template Haskell), but you have to work with abstract syntax tables
which look nothing like the original code.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu