[Haskell-cafe] Re: Richer (than ascii) notation for haskell source?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu May 15 08:35:43 EDT 2008

On 2008 May 15, at 4:33, Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> Yitz Gale wrote:
>>> While I have not yet noticed anyone from Greece on this list,
>>> I don't think it would be appropriate for us to discriminate
>>> against Greek speakers as a built-in feature of Haskell.
>
> Achim Schneider wrote:
>> /me shudders and tries not to remember those occasions when he read
>> code
>> written in french.
>
> He he, yes. I've seen C++ written in transliterated Russian, too.
> Very amusing - as long as I'm not the one who has to debug it.

True --- as one of the people who generally gets to fire-test heimdal (http://h5l.org
) and feed back changes, it's always fun to debug those parts where
variable names and comments are in Svensk.

>> Code should be written completely in English, for practical reasons.
>
> Yes, of course, that's the standard today for software development.
> But I'm just saying that it would not be a good idea to
> hard-wire that policy into our language syntax.

Suddenly I'm thinking of Lingua::Romana::Perligata....

> I always find my thumb hovering indecisively over the space bar
> when I type a backslash "lambda" in Haskell.

Come to think of it, I find myself inserting spaces anyway because of
emacs' tendency to use backslash as an escape character (and because
I'm so used to it being an escaper instead of an active character in
its own right).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu