[Haskell-cafe] Re: GHC predictability

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Tue May 13 21:04:00 EDT 2008

Andrew Coppin wrote:
> 2. Does anybody know how to actually read GHC's Core output anyway? To
> me, it looks almost exactly like very, very complicated Haskell source
> with a suspicious concentration of case expressions - but I understand
> that in the Core language, many constructs actually mean something quite
> different.

I can read most of GHC Core. I was never taught, and I never asked. I
did not read GHC's source code. I just guessed.

I agree with your assessment about the domination by case expressions.
They spell out the evaluation order. You need truckloads of them.

I slightly agree with your assessment about "complicated", but I call it
detailed and tedious. This is an assembly language for functional
programming. If it weren't detailed and tedious, it would have no right
to exist.