[Haskell-cafe] saner shootout programs

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue May 13 09:38:05 EDT 2008

On 2008 May 13, at 0:26, J C wrote:

> On the other hand, if the experts can't help using malloc, unsafe*,
> global mutables and IO, I'll be able to conclude that this is probably
> what it takes to make Haskell run fast :-(

Very few of the shootout entries have been revisited since most of the
improvements to list and stream fusion, etc. in GHC, if I can trust
the amount of discussion of shootout entries I've seen on IRC.  Some
of them are still vintage 6.4.2, which had very little in the way of
compiler smarts so hand optimization was crucial.  6.8.2, on the other
hand, does much better all by itself as long as you don't e.g. use
lists in stupid ways.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu