[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Roguestar 0.2

Christopher Lane Hinson lane at downstairspeople.org
Fri May 9 21:13:54 EDT 2008

website:        http://roguestar.downstairspeople.org
darcs 2:        darcs get --lazy http://www.downstairspeople.org/darcs/roguestar
tarball:        http://www.downstairspeople.org/roguestar/roguestar-0.2.tar.gz

After much delay, I'm happy to announce Roguestar 0.2.

Roguestar is a science fiction themed roguelike (turn-based,
chessboard-tiled, role playing) game written in Haskell.  Roguestar uses
OpenGL for graphics.  This is still a very early release and several
important things don't work.

This initial release allows you to play one of six alien races.  You begin
the game stranded on an alien planet, fighting off an endless hoard of
hostile robots.

RSAGL, the RogueStar Animation and Graphics Library, includes a
domain-specific monad for 3D modelling of arbitrary parametric surfaces,
as well as an animation monad and arrow, which is more or less like YAMPA
as a stack of arrow transformers.  RSAGL was specifically designed for
roguestar, but every effort has been made (including the license) to make
it accessable to other projects that might benefit from it.  Performance
is an issue, but there is a lot of low-hanging fruit in this area.

Roguestar is released under the Affero General Public License version 3.
However, RSAGL uses a permissive license.

I would be absolutely thrilled to receive any feedback anyone may have on
the design and aesthetics of the game, especially in the form of source
code.